2021/04/17 - There are now a few small blue orbs at various points around the castle and the castle grounds, if you click on them they'll give you a little info on your surroundings. It's unclear how these orbs are related to the large orb in the main entrance hall, other than both are orbs and both are blue. The large orb is midnight, singular, and mysterious; the smaller orbs are azure, multiple, and counter-mysterious.
-----end div "top" ---------------------------------------------->
-------- writing starts here 1w1 ------------------------------------->
- 2021/11/30 - Posted a new one: "A Hot Mug Of Something Or Other" [link]
- 2021/09/20 - Posted a new one: "Evening Cake" [link]
- 2021/09/17 - I just noticed that the original Japanese sumo clapper video, referenced in the post "Wavelength / Walk" [link], is no longer on YouTube. I don't know what happened. As a stopgap measure I made a new, duplicate video from the original source, uploaded it to my own account, and repointed the links. If that gets taken down for some reason I guess I'll just host it here, the whole video's only 48mb
- 2021/09/14 - Posted a new one: "Walking Without Leash" [link]
- 2021/09/12 - I put every back issue of Mothers News in the library, where they can be read and enjoyed, or at the very least, read. They're in a red milkcrate. I should make a nicer box for them but for the time being this is what we got.
- 2021/09/07 - Posted a new one: "Q: Did you ever have a time in your life when you made a certain sound so much that people asked you to stop?" [link]. It's another questionnaire responses post. I've been spacing these out as a treat to myself.
- 2021/08/31 - Posted a new one: "Moving Slowly Through Heat" [link]. There wasn't a post last week, I hope no one got rattled.
- 2021/08/17 - Posted a new one: "Battle Cat (Book Sale)" but it's pretty much just a link to the book sale [link]
- 2021/08/17 - I set up a little yard sale on the lawn outside the castle, mostly books. I put a blanket down so the books wouldn't get dirty. Please note that the blanket isn't for sale, it's almost an heirloom. I got it maybe 15 years ago when I saved this picture of Andean potato varieties to my desktop: [link]. I don't know how long the sale is going to go on for but hopefully not for more than a week- I don't want the grass to get yellow under the blanket.
- 2021/08/10 - Posted a new one: "Olympic Skateboarding" [link]
- 2021/08/03 - Posted a new one: "Flan's Guide To Car Camping", a guest post from Flannery. Thanks Flan!!!! [link]
- 2021/07/27 - Posted a new one: "Poems In Battle Mode" [link]
- 2021/07/20 - Posted a new one: "Q: Do You Have A Fake Name You Use Sometimes When It Really Doesn't Matter?" [link]
- 2021/07/19 - I put some x-ray glasses in the grand ballroom so you can see behind the line layer of Tom Bubul's art work. Sadly these glasses only work on drawings, not on the rest of the castle. But if you want to see behind the scenes in other parts of the castle, I guess you can always just go to "view source" in your browser.
- 2021/07/13 - Posted a new one: "World Snake Day" [link]
- 2021/07/06 - Posted a new one: "Some Sights and Sounds of Summer" [link]
- 2021/06/08 - Gonna take some time off from the castle, until the 6th. Feel free to hang out here as much as you want-- take a nap on the couch in the library, feed the fish in the pond, or if you're in the area and just need to use the bathroom that's cool too.
- 2021/06/01 - Posted a new one: "Banana Bread Weather" [link]
- 2021/05/30 - Tom Bubul made a musical mix to accompany his show in the grand ballroom, so I set up a little sound system in there. I didn't want to run a bunch of wires while the show is up so I just got an old iPod I had laying around and plugged it into a practice amp. It's a little brusque but it works.
- 2021/05/11 - Posted a new one: "Visitors In The Garden" [link]
- 2021/05/04 - Posted a new one: "Q: Do you ever eat (or feel compelled to eat) something that 'isn't food'?" [link]
- 2021/05/01 - I thought it might be nice to have a morning meditation down by the pond, so I tasked some fireflies to bring a small bell in from offscreen and ring it every morning at 8:30am and again at 9. There were a few people there yesterday and then today it was just me and the fireflies-- both ways are fine. If anyone would like to join in you can, just be sure to log in before 8:30 or the bell won't load correctly. There's no instruction, just a bell at the beginning and a bell at the end.
- 2021/04/27 - Posted a new one: "Asparagus Season" [link]
- 2021/04/20 - Posted a new one: "Cookie Lawyer" [link]
Orb placement is a little cavalier at the moment, due to the occasional intersetion of absolutely positioned and relatively positioned elements. I'm trying to test that now but anyway please let me know if an orb seems wildly misplaced.
Also, and this is a finesse point more than anything else, I fixed the grout in the second-floor bathroom. Before it had these weird green stains appearing at very regular intervals. Now the stains appear at irregular intervals.
2021/04/13 - Posted a new one: "First Questionnaire" [link]
2021/04/08 - Inés told me she keeps getting off-map in the stairwell so I added a note below the ground floor for people who instinctively scroll down. I also made it so you can click in the center of the compass rose and get deposited back at ground level from anywhere onscreen. I haven't tested the compass thing very well though, I hope it's working ok. Keep sending bug reports, guys!!!
2021/04/08 - Hosted the first art show in the castle's majestic grand ballroom, it's Tom Bubul's show "Selected Cousins and Braintrusts (Castle Version)" and it looks great. It'll be up for a while. We had a reception today down at the pond and a lot of people came through. I set up a little snack table, the duck behaved himself, Tom fielded some questions, it was really nice! The show was a lot of work and you know what, it looks great. I'm proud.
2021/04/06 - Posted a new one: "Stopgap". It's just a stopgap. [link]
2021/03/23 - Posted a new one: "New Rooms Update" [link]. Opened up a few new rooms and to be honest they still need a lot of work but hopefully at least all the edges are sanded and no one gets hurt. There's finally an accessible bathroom so now I can tackle setting up a coffee maker without getting in trouble with the castle licensing committee.
2021/03/16 - Posted a new one: "Finding Wind" [link]
2021/03/09 - Posted a new one: "Drinking Sap" [link]
2021/03/02 - Posted a new one: "Paper Cliff Society" [link]
2021/02/28 - There's been a duck hanging out at the pond lately, he seems pretty chill as long as you don't mess with him too much.
2021/03/24 - Reader Harold sent in a bug report on those newish capitals (see 2021/02/13) so I fixed it. Thanks Harold!
2021/02/23 - Posted a new one: "Coins Of The Realm" [link]
2021/02/16 - Posted a new one: "Lent, or the Art of Giving Up" [link]
2021/02/13 - Changed the capitals on all the posts... now we're leading off with a little more oomph. But as with any css change it might take a while for the features to migrate.
2021/02/09 - Posted a new one: "Core Sample: Febs" [link]
2021/02/02 - Posted a new one: "Wavelength / Walk" [link]
2021/01/31 - added links to 3 random posts at the bottom of each post so people can just click through the archives in a random fashion. Links get randomized every week, just because that's the easy way for me to do it. Hopefully this is cool and not a bad vibe.
2021/01/26 - Posted a new one: "Smells" [link]
2021/01/19 - Posted a new one: "A Small Batch Of Updates" [link]
2021/01/14 - added a file to the library, it's "Movies 2020", a list with short description of every movie I watched in the year that was 2020AD. As with the previous year's list, this is supplied for fans of long lists of movies. [link]
2021/01/12 - Posted a new one: "My Vivarium" [link]
2021/01/05 - Posted a new one: "Small Joys Check-In" [link]
2021/01/02 - the contact form on the contact page is misaligned somehow, and hasn't been working since early December... no idea how many messages didn't go through. It's a nightmare but what can you do? I'm trying to figure it out and in the meantime email still works. If you sent a message via the contact form in December of 2020, please email me. But if the moment has passed, I respect that.
2020/12/29 - Posted a new one: "Christmas Hop" [link]
2020/12/22 - Took a week off :)
2020/12/15 - Posted a new one: "Sweater Repair" [link]
2020/12/10 - I made a welcome sign and put it up next to the door so there'll be no confusion about whether you can go into the castle. I ran out of my regular glue when I was making the sign so I had to improvise, I'm sure it'll be fine.
2020/12/08 - Posted a new one: "Weird Flyers" [link]
2020/12/01 - Posted a new one: "Ichi-go Ichi-e" [link]
2020/11/24 - Posted a new one: "Roaming Around A Destroyed House" [link]
2020/11/22 - Put a little trashcan in the coat room because someone's been hanging out in there eating snacks, which is no problem, unless they leave detritus behind, which hopefully won't happen any more.
2020/11/21 - I put a nice couch and a sidetable in the library. I did that this morning and it's the afternoon now and the table ALREADY has a coffee mug on it, a book, and a bunch of miscellaneous scraps of paper.
2020/11/19 - Aaaaargh just learned you're not supposed to wrap an href around a div... I think that's why the front door doesn't work on some iPads. Shit I got a lot of work to do... and iPads also can't do css opacity stuff? Garbage.
2020/11/17 - posted a new one: "Miss Piggy's Guide To Life" [link]
2020/11/10 - posted a new one: "Sauerkraut Hour" [link]
2020/11/03 - posted a new one: "I Went For A Walk / I Walked Somewhere" [link]. Also I got rid of that weird glow that was glowing around the castle. I used an old groundskeeper's trick ;)
2020/11/02 - added a feature so that new posts can be toggled between regular view and "print-friendly" view, so they can be printed out and read on paper. New posts will have a button at the bottom you can click. Shoutout to Joanne for inspiring this feature! If there are any problems with this or suggestions to improve readability please leave a comment on the contact page. There's a lot of factors at play, so if you're getting an error or weird effect please let me know in the comment what browser you're using.
2020/10/27 - posted a new one: "Monster Alphabet" [link]
2020/10/20 - posted a new one: "Warming Brew" [link]
2020/10/13 - posted a new one: "Mike Leslie Flyer Collection" [link]
2020/10/06 - posted a new one: "Grinning Ghouls" [link]
2020/09/29 - took a breather, no new one this week :)
2020/09/22 - posted a new one: "Little Bits Of Paper" [link]
2020/09/15 - posted a new one: "Book Reviews" [link]
2020/09/08 - posted a new one: "Plant Report" [link]
2020/09/04 - we were getting too many spam emails through the contact page, most of them for SEO optimization companies 😜. I added a honeypot to the form-- fake fields that (hopefully) only a robot would see, that when filled will shunt the message automatically to the proverbial circular file. To any non-robots out there the form should work as before. While I was in there I changed the Christmas tree lights on the "successful message" page from non-blink to blink. I think that frog likes it more that way :) [link].
2020/09/01 - posted a new one: "Tiny Pizzas" [link]
2020/08/25 - posted a new one: "Food News" [link]
2020/08/20 - made a new lil page that only has the pancake recipe on it, so people can find it. It's at [http://www.fujichia.com/pancakes]. I tried to make the URL easy to remember but in case anyone forgets I put a link on the 404 page [invalid address]. That way all they have to do is guess and they'll find it. Of course first they'd have to believe that they could hope to guess. That's the price of the pancakes recipe-- the belief that a guess is worth a try.
2020/08/18 - posted a new one: "Fourth World Under $3" [link]
2020/08/11 - posted a new one: "Sumo Clips" [link]
2020/08/04 - posted a new one: "Gunmodoki, Part 1" [link]
2020/07/30 - The water feature is starting to grow in. It's a really nice place to just hang out right now, so nice I left a note encouraging passers-by to do so. To hang out I mean, not to pass by. There's no fireflies yet but I think I saw a fish? I saw something moving under the water, I hope it was a fish. [link]
2020/07/28 - the library is becoming far too vast to keep the candles burning all the time, day and night. So as a cost-saving effort, all library patrons will be asked to simply turn the lights on for themselves when they arrive. Don't worry about turning them off-- the ghoul that lives in the library and licks the hot wax and lamp oil (Dean) will blow the lights out when you leave. He loves to do it, and it doesn't hurt anyone, so please just let him. Dean will not turn the lights on for you though, that's not his job. [link]
2020/07/28 - posted a new one: "Rolling Egg" [link]
2020/07/21 - posted a new one: "Collecting" [link]
2020/07/14 - posted a new one: "Reader Mail" [link]. Also after much debate among the grounds staff, the decision is that it's ok to pick the flowers but that there isn't going to be a sign saying Do Pick The Flowers. Initially the sign said Don't Pick The Flowers, then someone said why not. Then we were like fine, the sign says Do Pick Them, but then we were worried that people will go nuts and then there'd be no flowers at all, just signs. So now, if you have the desire to pick the flowers, the official policy is "that's ok". But as with the flowers themselves, this desire will not be cultivated, merely allowed to spring up and treated with dignity.
2020/07/07 - posted a new one: "Small Plants / Blinking Lights" [link]
2020/07/07 - started building out a water feature on the castle grounds, for the benefit of wildlife in the area. Right now it's just a hole with water in it but I'll be adding some bog plants as soon as the order comes in from the bog store. I put it a little far from the castle because it's good to take a little walk and also I don't want it leaking into the winecellar.
2020/07/01 - added some recent dictionary searches to the dictionary: [link]
2020/06/30 - posted a new one: "Rhinocerous Seed" [link]
2020/06/23 - posted a new one: "Orange White 1961 - present" [link]
2020/06/16 - painted my shed. For reasons I can't figure out (right now, when I want to be doing something else), I think iphone users are disallowed from entering the shed from outside. Can't help ya m8
2020/06/16 - posted a new one: "Diary Notes" [link]
2020/06/15 - added some new files to the library: a list of movies watched in 2019 [link] and a list of words looked up in the dictionary, March 2019 to present [link]
2020/06/10 - messed around with the css and now I think it's more readable on a phone. The site is designed for desktop browsing but I'm not about to penalize the read-on-phone people, that's not my bag. That said we're still designing for desktop first -- any mobile design is an afterthought accomplished by kludge.
2020/06/09 - posted a new one: "Purple Flowers In Weird Area" [link]
2020/06/02 - posted a new one: "Bail Links" [link]
2020/05/26 - posted a new one: "Device Must Be Earthed" [link]
2020/05/19 - posted a new one: "Vegetable Towers" [link]
2020/05/12 - posted a new one: "Quilts" [link]
2020/05/09 - added some new files to the Library [link]. There's a piece from the Dirt Palace book "The Wedding Cake House" [link] and a bit from Scam #5 [link]
2020/05/05 - posted a new one: "Moticos #2" [link]
2020/04/28 - posted a new one: "Dipping Areas" [link]
2020/04/22 - fixed a problem for the Safari on iPhone browser that was preventing people from coming into the castle by failing to locate the open door in the declared doorspace when called. I had the door marked position:absolute, which works for almost everyone. The fix is making the frame of reality position:absolute with a margin of 0, and the door position:relative. At least I think that's the fix.
2020/04/21 - posted a new one: "My Stupid Little Walk" [link]
2020/04/20 - refurbished the Utility Shed a little, hung up some wiring diagrams and some pictures of buds
2020/04/18 - new room for the bell: [link]
2020/04/16 - moved all html to the same level of folder depth. this makes using a template easier because all reference links are the same for every page- from almost anywhere to almost anywhere is down two up two: ../../rooms/library/index.html
2020/04/16 - changed "page" folder to "pages" to match "posts" and "rooms"
2020/04/14 - added a favicon by suggestion of reader Harold Cooper, it's a small treasure chest, closed
2020/04/14 - posted a new one: Dollhouse News
2020/04/14 added a new room: [link]
2020/04/12 added a contact page with contact form, to replace the guestbook [link]
2020/04/10 dissolved a WordPress install, reinstated existing pages as pure html
2020/04/07 - posted a new one: Recent Builds
2020/03/31 - posted a new one: Phone Book
2020/03/24 - posted a new one: Lemon Bag
2020/03/17 - posted a new one: Tainted Alligator Soufflé
2020/03/10 - posted a new one: Glitch Roundup
2020/03/03 - posted a new one: My Beautiful Little Notebook
2020/02/25 - posted a new one: Scattered Apprentice
2020/02/18 - posted a new one: Scene Report: Sci Fi Movie Marathon 2020
2020/02/11 - posted a new one: Mnemonics / Dr Mario
2020/02/04 - posted a new one: Put Me In A Movie
2020/01/28 - posted a new one: Gig Report: Strawberry Band
2020/01/21 - posted a new one: Piss 2020
2020/01/14 - posted a new one: Wind / Jazz / Outer Space
castle wiring diagrams
DO NOT THROW OUT!
the groundskeeper's weird friends
groundskeeper special area
--------- end new writing --------------------------------------------->
--- end main ------------------------------------------------>